A pressing need exists in the heart of our community that often goes unnoticed: the need for a good night’s sleep. Many people cannot afford a comfortable bed, and a lack of restful sleep can have an impact on their health, well-being, and daily lives.
Sleep is a fundamental human right, and a good night’s sleep can change your life. It energises our bodies, restores our spirits, and provides us with the energy to face the challenges of each new day. However, far too many people go without this basic need. That is where Backs on Beds comes in. Backs on Beds aims to provide quality mattresses and pillows to the less fortunate in order to improve their sleep experience and overall well-being.
With the help of Vencasa and our customers, Backs on Beds recently visited the largest Jewish welfare organisation on the African continent and the oldest in Johannesburg, The Chevrah Kadisha, affectionately known as the “Chev”.
The Chev started out as a burial society in 1888, and has evolved into a full-scale welfare organisation caring for the needs of Jews from cradle to grave.
The Chev also cares for nearly 1,000 residents in its various facilities, as well as several thousand community members through its financial and social services.
The Chev offers services to residents and community members under nine banners:
- Financial Assistance Services (for rent, food, etc.)
- Residential Services (a place to call home)
- Education Support Services (school and tertiary education)
- Protected Employment Services (providing opportunities for work)
- Emergency Services (24/7 Helpline)
- Bridal Services (support for engaged and newly-married couples)
- Healthcare Services (medical care)
- Burial Services (every Jew receives a dignified burial)