What must my pillow do for me?
- Support the weight of your head and neck without applying pressure
- Allow for a longer, deeper, more restful sleep
- Support your ergonomic shape
- Eliminate pressure points on your face and neck
- Improve facial circulation
How long should my pillow last?
- Tempur pillow: 7-8 years
- Polyester pillow: 6-12 months
- Memory foam pillow: 12-18 months
- Feather, Down Pillow: 3 -4 years
- Gel Pillow: 3-4 years
How should my pillow fit me?
- Like a glove! No gap between your neck & head
- Adequately support the weight of your neck without collapsing
- Promote correct spinal alignment
- Whether sleeping on your side or stomach, your pillow must cradle your neck & head so that it does not tilt up or down.
When does my pillow need to be replaced?
- When it feels as though it has collapsed and is no longer supporting your neck and shoulder
- If you are experiencing recurring headaches, neck or shoulder pain
- Wash your pillowcases weekly
- If your pillow has a cover, wash the cover twice per month
- Pillows with no covers would typically need to be replaced a lot sooner than those that have covers.
Major health risks associated with poor quality sleep:
- Increases the risk of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, stroke, memory loss, car accidents.
- Decreases your ability to cope with stress, or control your emotions.
- Weakens your immune system.
Side effects of sleeping on the incorrect pillow:
- Neck, shoulder, back, hip pain and discomfort.
- Recurring headaches
- Fatigue & tiredness
- Increased snoring
- Lack of concentration